It’s Monday August 7, 2017

7Aug

00:0000:00

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has taken his fight against President Donald Trump’s immigration policies to court, with Chicago becoming one of the first cities Monday to sue the government over what many U.S. cities argue are illegal bids to withhold public safety grants from so-called sanctuary cities. The 46-page lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago, a day after Emanuel announced the litigation and said the city won’t “be blackmailed” into changing its values as a welcoming city. He argued it’s unconstitutional for a city “to be coerced on a policy.” City officials say there are new qualifications for a grant that requires cities to share information with U.S. immigration authorities, which they allege are unconstitutional. Chicago has received the grant funds since 2005, including $2.3 million last year. It is the latest round in a battle between several major U.S. cities that opt to limit cooperation with federal government efforts to enforce immigration law and the Trump administration, with federal officials threatening for months to withhold funding for sanctuary cities, saying they don’t comply with federal laws.

 

 

North Korea vowed Monday to bolster its nuclear arsenal and gain revenge of a “thousand-fold” against the United States in response to tough U.N. sanctions imposed following its recent intercontinental ballistic missile tests. The warning came two days after the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved new sanctions to punish North Korea, including a ban on coal and other exports worth over $1 billion. The U.S. ambassador to the U.N., Nikki Haley, called the U.S.-drafted resolution “the single largest economic sanctions package ever leveled against” North Korea. In a statement carried by the North’s state-run Korean Central News Agency, North Korea’s government said the sanctions were a “violent infringement of its sovereignty” that was caused by a “heinous U.S. plot to isolate and stifle” the country. The North said it would take an unspecified “resolute action of justice” and would never place its nuclear program on the negotiating table or “flinch an inch” from its push to strengthen its nuclear deterrence as long as U.S. hostility against North Korea persists. South Korea’s government said the North would face stronger sanctions if it doesn’t stop its nuclear and missile provocation.

 

 

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte met Monday with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, where he voiced solidarity with the U.S. amid global concerns over North Korea’s nuclear program and angrily dismissed media questions about human rights abuses by his government. Duterte and America’s top diplomat met in Manila at a regional Asia gathering. It was the highest-level interaction to date between a member of President Trump’s administration and Duterte, who has been accused by human rights groups of flagrant abuses in his bloody war against illegal drugs. If the two leaders discussed those or other U.S. concerns about Duterte’s government, they didn’t do so in public. Instead, the two focused on the alliance between the two countries and on the North Korea issue as reporters were allowed in briefly for the start of their meeting. Earlier, as they shook hands, the two ignored a shouted question about whether they’d discuss human rights. And at a news conference after their meeting, Duterte bristled but didn’t answer directly when asked whether human rights had come up. The U.S. said, ahead of the meeting, that human rights would be among the topics on the agenda.

 

 

Secretary of State Tillerson also said Monday the Trump administration has yet to decide how to respond to Russia’s move to expel hundreds of American diplomats, but plans to deliver a response to Moscow by Sept. 1. A day after sitting down in the Philippines with Russia’s top diplomat, Tillerson said he’d asked “clarifying questions” about the Kremlin’s retaliation announced last month following new sanctions passed by Congress and signed by President Trump. The Trump administration has struggled to determine how the move will affect the U.S. diplomatic presence in Russia, as well as the broader implications for the troubled relationship between the nuclear-armed powers. Despite the Russian move, which seemed to plunge the two countries even further into acrimony, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov emerged from the meeting declaring a readiness for more engagement with the U.S. on North Korea, Syria and Ukraine, among other issues. Tillerson broadly echoed that sentiment, saying the two countries had critical national security issues to discuss despite deep disagreements on some matters.

 

 

Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro vowed that a band of anti-government fighters who attacked an army base will get the “maximum penalty” as his administration roots out his enemies. Maduro said, in his weekly broadcast on state television, troops killed two of the 20 intruders who slipped into the Paramacay base in the central city of Valencia early Sunday, apparently intent on fomenting a military uprising. According to Maduro, one of the invaders was injured, seven captured and 10 got away. The attack came as Venezuela’s controversial constitutional assembly is getting down to work, signaling in its initial decrees last week that delegates will target Maduro’s foes as he had warned. More than 120 people have been reported killed in four months of unrest that has been fueled by anger at the socialist government over food shortages, soaring inflation and high crime.

 

 

An Australian Navy survey ship has located a U.S. military aircraft that crashed off the Australian northeast coast over the weekend. 23 U.S Marines who were on board the MV-22 Osprey were rescued. Three others are still missing and presumed dead. The aircraft - a tilt rotor craft which takes off and lands like a helicopter and flies like a plane, was based onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard, an amphibious assault ship. The craft was taking part in regular operations when it crashed. The Marine Corps said earlier it had shifted from a search-and-rescue effort to a recovery operation, which could last several months.

 

 

Texas authorities say two Boy Scouts were killed and another was critically hurt when their sailboat hit an overhead power line. The Texas Parks & Wildlife Department says the accident happened at a lake near Avinger, 150 miles east of Dallas. Two Boy Scouts, ages 18 and 16, were electrocuted, while a third - an 11-year-old - was critically injured and was hospitalized in Shreveport, Louisiana. When officials arrived on the scene, they saw the catamaran was on fire, with sails up. A preliminary investigation indicates the sailboat mast came in contact with the power line. The three boys were members of a scout troop from Hallsville, Texas.

 

 

The sixth named tropical storm of the season, Franklin, formed early Monday in the western Caribbean Sea. Forecasters said it is now on a definite strengthening trend and could be upgraded to the season’s first hurricane before it makes landfall on the Yucatan peninsula late Monday. A hurricane watch is in effect for the coast of Mexico from Chetumal to Punta Allen. Tropical storm warnings begin in Belize City in Belize and curve around the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico to Campeche on its western side. The popular resort destinations of Cancun and Cozumel are included in the tropical storm warning. The National Hurricane Center in Miami said the hardest hit areas could receive 3 to 6 inches of rain, with isolated amounts to 12 inches. Tropical-storm-force winds are likely, and some gusts over hurricane force - 74 mph - are possible. Franklin is the sixth named storm of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season, and is strongly reminiscent of another storm that formed in the same area in 2012: Ernesto. Franklin is forecast to make landfall over the Yucatan at almost the exact same location, date and hour as Ernesto. The storm name Franklin was first used in 2005. It replaced Floyd of the list of names. Floyd was retired after its infamous 1999 incarnation.

 

 

Netflix has acquired comic book publisher Millarworld, its first acquisition ever, with plans to turn the comic book characters into new films and shows for the video streaming service. Millarworld’s graphic novels “Kick-Ass,” ″Wanted” and “Kingsman” have already been turned into movies by major studios. Netflix already has made a hefty commitment to comic-book series based on Marvel characters like “Daredevil,” ″Jessica Jones” and “Luke Cage.” The streaming service ventured outside the Marvel universe with the recently announced series based on “The Umbrella Academy,” published by Dark Horse Comics. Netflix which is based in Los Gatos, California, didn’t disclose on Monday how much it paid for Millarworld.

 

 

Daniel Craig is reportedly set to return as James Bond in another two movies. The 49-year-old actor has played Agent 007 in the past four films in the franchise, but had been thought not to be returning for a fifth outing after saying he would rather “slash my wrists” than reprise the role. But according to a report by Britain’s 'The Sun' newspaper, Craig has inked a deal for two more films, after undergoing negotiations with Bond producer Barbara Broccoli. Apparently, the next film is set to be entitled Shatterhand, and is due for a release in November, 2019. And sources tell The Sun that producers are considering a remake of the Bond flick 'On Her Majesty’s Secret Service' for Craig’s final outing as 007. That Bond adventure was the sixth in the franchise - released in 1969, and starred Australian actor/model George Lazenby in his only outing as 007. He replaced the original Bond - Sean Connery- who starred in the first 5 films.